Skip to main content

How your 40s and beyond can be better than your 20s


 Are you sick of hearing "it's all part of getting old"? I am✋🏻

I believe your 40s and beyond can be even better than your 20s.

Let me tell you a little story to explain.

It was the day after graduating from pharmacy school in 2002. I loaded up a U-haul and drove it to my newly rented apartment in NYC.

I thought I was Rachel from Friends and Carrie Bradshaw from Sex in the City. I was one pair of Manolo Blahniks away from truly making it.

Starting out my new adult life I felt exhilarated, empowered, and full of confidence.

Alicia Keys describes it best in the song Empire State of Mind:

"In New York,

Concrete jungle where dreams are made of,

There's nothing you can't do,

Now you're in New York,

these streets will make you feel brand new,

the lights will inspire you..."

Those years helped shaped who I am today. Like a lot of us, I ended up getting stuck on the carousel of stress and burn-out for many years. It left me feeling depleted and distracted.

Over time I reclaimed my priorities and learned how to take care of my well-being. I retrained my brain to let go of trying to look a certain way, always keeping up, and figured out how to rest and refuel my body & mind.

These days I feel the inspiration I did when I moved to New York. But this time it's even better this time because I have the wisdom, knowledge, and grace I didn't have back then.

What can you start doing today to embrace that Empire State of Mind?

1) Do one thing each day for 5 mins that makes you feel like a million dollars. It can be different each day-but something that brings you joy, power, and fulfillment.

2) Move your body every day. It doesn't matter what you do, just something you enjoy and gets your heart rate up. The benefits on your mental well-being are huge.

3) This is toughie-set some boundaries and delegate. Try to set one boundary or delegate one task each day.

xoxo,

Stephanie

Sign up here for more energizing tips, inspiration, and delicious easy recipes!

Comments

Most Popular Posts

Seed cycling for hormonal balance

 Have you been struggling with heavy periods, migraines, sleep issues, cramps, or night sweats to name a few??? These seed & nut mixes may be the tool for you. When I first heard about seed cycling I thought it sounded very crunchy and hard to do. Then I realized I already eat some of these nuts and seeds. It was just a matter of planning which ones when.  How does it work? It's fairly straightforward. The seed hulls contain lignans, which are chemicals that help bind up excess hormones, while the seed oils contain essential fatty acids that provide the building blocks for making hormones. Seed cycle is including different seeds during the different phases of your menstrual cycle. How long does it take to work? It may take a 3-4 months to notice a change so don't give up right away. If you don’t see an improvement after 3-4 months, consider reaching out to chat with me about additional help in balancing your hormones. Below are two recipes that are super delicious & ...

Eating Like a Blue Zoner: Unlocking the Secrets of Longevity

  Years ago I visited a small town named Massa Lubrense on the Amalfi Coast in Italy. I ate delicious figs, olives and local fruits and vegetables, walked up and down very steep roads, and observed many locals socializing at the espresso bars. I can feel my blood pressure drop just thinking about my visit there. However, we don't all need to relocate to live long and healthy lives. We can use these places as inspiration for what a healthy enviroment and lifestyle looks like. People in the so-called 'Blue Zones' — a term coined by National Geographic Fellow and journalist Dan Buettner — are renowned for their exceptional longevity and remarkably low rates of chronic diseases. These regions, which include Okinawa (Japan), Sardinia (Italy), Nicoya (Costa Rica), Ikaria (Greece), and Loma Linda (California, USA), have become the focus of extensive research to unveil the secrets to a long and healthy life. Unsurprisingly, a significant part of these secrets lies in their dietary ...

Maine Blueberry Overnight Oats Base Recipe

  I just got back from a beautiful week camping in Maine. We stayed in Camden, Acadia National Park and Kennebunkport. We were lucky because we got to Maine just in time to enjoy fresh picked wild blueberries from the local farm stands. Also, my youngest daughter discovered she loves overnight oats that I had made for our first morning. The blueberries added to the overnight oats made a winning combination and great breakfast to make at our campsite. I was able to easily continue to prep her oats every night in a mason jar by following a basic formula. There are lots of recipe variations online, but I wanted to share the base that's easy to memorize because it can be a healthy breakfast option for busy mornings. The oats are high in fiber which is good for heart health and blood sugar balance, and they provide protein too. The flax, hemp and chia provide healthy Omega-3 fats. Once you figure out how you like them, make several jars at a time and have breakfast ready to go for days....